Members nominate charities. All those nominated charities go into a database, which is then weeded of ineligible organizations. The remaining eligible charities are put into a hat and three organizations are drawn at random six weeks before a quarterly meeting. The three organizations are invited to give a short five-minute presentation at the meeting. If a charity declines or is unable to present, another charity is chosen from the database. The identity of the three presenting charities is not revealed publicly until the meeting is underway.
When a member joins, they may nominate up to three charities every year of their membership. This can be done throughout the year of membership and once a charity is nominated, it does not need to be nominated again. You can nominate a charity here.
Absolutely none! 100 Women Who Give a Hoot is organized and operated entirely by volunteers. 100% of funds raised at a meeting go directly to the chosen charity.
100 Women Who Give a Hoot collects your personal information (including name, email address, phone number, zip code) strictly for the purpose of keeping in contact with our members. The membership database is used by the organizers to get in touch with our members.
100 Women Who Give a Hoot will not sell, give or otherwise share your personal information with any third party without your express consent unless required to do so by law. We may occasionally recognize our members via social media and other media. If a member wants to remain anonymous they must let us know at the time of joining.
We will never rent out, sell or give away your personal information. Ever.
The website will have the most up-to-date info at all times. We also update Facebook. Members are emailed from email@example.com. Please add this to your address book. If you change your email address, please let us know. Should you wish to discontinue membership at any time, please send an email to the above address indicating your withdrawal.
Yes! However, they will be required to join as a member at the door. “Giving” means making a commitment. So on arrival, your friend would need to register before being admitted.
The actual meetings will take no more than one hour. There are opportunities to socialize both before and after the formal part of each one-hour meeting.
- Registration, networking and a cash bar opens. Expect to be greeted by a volunteer and asked to sign-in at the registration desk. Then, enjoy our cash bar and mingle with fellow members or meet the evening’s presenting charities.
- Meeting begins
- Opening remarks
- Each charity presents for 5 minutes each
- Voting and tabulation
- Update from the previous quarter’s award recipient
- Announce the recipient charity (by simple majority)
- Members write their checks to the recipient charity or donate electronically
- Post-event reception and networking, cash bar
Ideally no – because we want to see you at our meetings. But, if you are interested in submitting your annual donation of $400 all at once, you can do so electronically. Click here to set up your PayPal Giving account for the Raleigh and surrounding chapter.
You can always donate more to a charity separately on your own but for the purposes of 100 Women Who Give a Hoot, we make one big donation as a group. To make a big impact, we want to give $10,000+ dollars together.
No, that would not be fair to the charities, would it? If we can make a BIG impact with 100 women, why not invite a friend and make an even BIGGER impact?
FAQs for Charities
No, charities may only be nominated by an active member (a member who is up to date on their quarterly donations).
- Organization must be a local non-profit recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)3 organization.
- Raleigh & Surrounding chapter: Organization must be located in and serve the following counties: Wake, Nash, Franklin, Johnston, and Person.
- Chapel Hill/Durham chapter: Organization must be located in and serve the following counties: Alamance, Durham, Chatham, and Orange.
- If an Organization services a larger area, a guarantee must be made that 75% of their programming funds are spent in the counties noted above for that chapter.
- If a local Organization is a subordinate or chapter under an umbrella 501(c)3 designation, it must guarantee that 100% of 100 Women Who Give a Hoot’s donation will go to the local subordinate or chapter.
- Organization must have an Annual Revenue of at least $100,000 on their most recent Form 990.
- Organization must have had its 501 designation established for more than 1 year.
- Organization must be willing to send a representative to our meeting with a 5 minute presentation aimed at sharing how the donation would be spent if they should be the awarded recipient.
- Organization must agree not to create, sell, or distribute a list with our members’ contact information, and agree not to solicit our members directly for further contributions.
- Organization does not discriminate or permit discrimination by any member of its community against any individual based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, sex, marital status, age or any other classification protected by law.
- After a minimum of three years, an organization who presented, but was not selected at a meeting will remain in the draw for subsequent meetings.
- A successful organization who receives funds is not eligible for at least 5 years for future consideration.
- Voting will take place by secret ballot and simple majority wins.
- Ties will be decided by further votes. If a tie persists, the membership will randomly select one of the tied organizations by draw.
- If you see your nonprofit’s name on our list of charities, CONGRATULATIONS! This means you have already been nominated to be included in our random selection drawings for future donations.
- We maintain and are constantly updating a list of local charities that satisfy our criteria. Once a charity is nominated by a member and we have validated that all requirements are met, the organization is added to our website in the CHARITIES section.
- If you do NOT see your nonprofit’s name included on our site, then be sure to tell all of your supporters about 100 Women Who Give a Hoot! Remember, only members can nominate charities. Throughout the calendar year, each member has the opportunity to nominate up to 3 NEW charities that have not yet been nominated by any other members. If you are a member and have not yet nominated, please click the NOMINATE NOW button on our CHARITIES page to provide us the information for review. Once we confirm that the organization satisfies the criteria listed above, we will put add it to our site, which then includes this nonprofit to be in the “random selection” pool for future donations.